Happy Thanksgiving! As your coach I am treating this as your final pep talk before the big day, so here we go. Before the party:
- Review tips from the past couple of weeks.
- Don’t go to dinner hungry. Make sure you have a good breakfast and lunch. Many people starve all day thinking this gives them the right to cheat. Skipping your other meals will do nothing, but add to a slowing metabolism and probably cause you to eat more calories and fat at Thanksgiving dinner.
- Drink plenty of water. Alcohol and caffeine can cause dehydration.
- Don’t hoard leftovers. Send food home with guests when possible.
- Don’t let family members push food on you. It is not rude to say you are full or request a smaller helping of something if you are being served. Watch for grandparents and other relatives over serving your child. If you are a parent that uses food to show love, I urge you to work on stopping that habit immediately.
- Don’t forget to take the skin off of the turkey.
- Don’t forget the 80/20 rule. Do your best to eat 80% healthy and treat yourself 20%.
- Last, but not least. Never feel like you blew it! If you have a lapse and overeat a little or let your child overeat, you are human and it is Thanksgiving… Nobody is perfect. Candidly, I know I am going to have some mashed potatoes and gravy. It’s a once to twice a year opportunity and I’m taking it. But I will control my portions and hope that you will do the same. Remember to stay mindful and present to why and what you are eating. You can do it!
Have a great Thanksgiving!